Monday 6 April 2020

Tapping up a storm



NZ is currently in a COVID-19 lockdown and I was missing a key piece of equipment to progress the testing and calibration of the pressure sensors.
In order to mount the pressure transducers to the uPVC pipe coupling, I needed a 1/4" BSPP tap. I had ordered one from AliExpress a month or so back, but with the delays and pause in non-essential shipping, it was unlikely it would arrive in the next few weeks.
As often happens, mentor Brett Ogilvie hooked me up with his Dad and we had a great chat on Zoom. Turns out he was formerly an instrumentation and control guru for NZ Steel and knew a thing or two about measuring pressure and flow. Heaps of ideas to ponder there, and he also had the tap I needed. Unfortunately his location at the other end of the country was a barrier in the current lockdown.
One option we had discussed was using the sensor itself to form the thread, a risky approach given the likelihood of cross threading the soft PVC, but with a combination of countersinking and careful alignment I managed to form a solid thread and mount the pressure sensor!
A small victory but a crucial one allowing me to progress to the next step of calibrating the sensors.


No comments:

Post a Comment